Water Damage and Mold and What To Do About It

by

I’ve read two different stories reported by the news involving the death of an elderly man and an infant due to mold sickness from toxic black mold. What many people believe is not going to really harm them, really can. It’s no joke and a very serious matter.

If you own your own home or even if you’re renting a home, apartment, mobile home, etc. and you even suspect you have water damage and mold in your home, you need to clean it up right away.

Often times people are unsure of how to determine if they have mold in their home. One of the sure signs of a fungus invasion is a musty smell. Where there is musty there is almost always some form of fungi. And if your home has a leaky basement, kitchen or bathroom, then it’s obvious there’s a moisture problem and chances are you also have mold growth.

Of course you may be shaking your heading and thinking that leak was only a small one, but what most people don’t realize is that fungi spores are very tiny and are able to survive in very minimal conditions. So it really doesn’t take much moisture for mold to grow.

In order to remove the problem, there are several steps that need to be taken.

The first step is to remove any contaminated items from the home for good, including damaged wood, carpet, wallpaper, or ceiling tiles. It’s pretty much impossible to repair damaged property that has already been infected by mold growth.

If it’s not black mold you can get away with cleaning up the problem using vinegar and baking soda or an environmentally safe product that is specifically made for fungal cleanup. But before cleanup can begin, you must repair any leaks. Otherwise the mold is not going to go away with cleanup.

If you find that the leaks are an extreme problem and will take time to repair, your best solution may be to find temporary housing to stay in until the job is done.

If you need to hire a professional to repair your home’s leaks, you must warn them about any mold that is in your home. After all, you certainly don’t want to endanger the health of others.

If you’re repairing the damage yourself and walls or floors are involved; you may want to consider using a waterproofing product on them to help minimize any future problems. There are also mold resistant paints available on the market that may also help.

Once you’ve repaired the damages and clean up has been done, you’ll need to lower the moisture in your home. There are many ways you can do this with some being more expensive than others. 

One of the most common tools that can reduce moisture in the home is a dehumidifier. There are many models on the market to choose from, so you’ll want to do your research before purchasing one.

Once you’ve taken the necessary steps to remove the water damage and mold from your home, you’ll find that you can breathe easier and you may even notice an improvement in your health.