How to Remove Black Mold

by

How toxic is your home? One of the things I didn’t realize when I noticed a spotting black substance on my bedroom ceiling was that I was killing myself.

Those spots were a mold known as strachybotrys chartarum. At the time, I had no idea just how dangerous it really was! Then, I couldn’t stop coughing and had difficulty breathing, so I thought about those deadly spots and did some research. Boy was I shocked at the information I found. I knew I needed to learn black mould removal and fast!

One of the first things that I learned was that those little black spots were a result from an extreme amount of moisture in the air. So I found the source of the moisture problem and discovered that it was coming from the shower in our bathroom. The room was very small and had absolutely no ventilation system whatsoever.

Once I found the source of the problem, I made sure that the bathroom was ventilated. Because of the small space and lack of resources, the best that I could do that the time was open the windows when the shower was in use and place a dehumidifier in the bedroom.

My next step was to identify the areas where the deadly fungus had grown. Originally I had thought that the problem was only in the bedroom, but as it turned out there was also a patch of it growing above the bathroom medicine cabinet.

Before I could clean up the affected area I realized I needed to handle the situation with caution. First, I needed the proper attire to protect myself, which meant wearing rubber gloves, protective eyewear and a respiratory mask. These items were necessary because the spores from the fungus when stirred up become airborne.  I had already breathed in enough of the toxic fungus, I certainly didn’t need to make matters worse!

Since the area was dry, I discovered that the first step to cleaning the moldy surface was by lightly misting it with a little water. This would help keep many of the spores from becoming airborne. Once that was done, I used a small amount of dishwashing soap to wipe off the visible layer of the fungus.

Now I’ll be honest. My final step in eliminating the dangerous substance was by taking a cloth and dampening it with a mixture of bleach and water to disinfect the area. During that time I didn’t know that while bleach can temporarily resolve the problem, it couldn’t kill the root of the spores that are hidden beneath the surface layers. But soon after, I found myself moving on, so there wasn’t a reason for me to correct my mistake.

Since then I have learned that many people assume bleaching is a permanent solution for removing molds. And while it may be a solution for non-toxic molds, it certainly isn’t the case for strachybotrys chartarum.

There are however, many commercial products that are available on the market that are meant to permanently remove black mold in almost the same manner as the bleach mixture. And while they might not be as inexpensive as bleach is, they’re definitely worth the cost when it comes to your health! Don’t make the same mistake I did.

And remember to seal up and discard any materials you may have used to clean the affected area. Be wise and be safe. After all, it’s your health we’re talking about!