Are you looking the other way when you see a moldy substance growing in the dark and damp areas of your home? You shouldn’t be if that substance is greenish-black. It’s a mold known as Stachybotrys chartarum or Stachybotrys atra. This is more commonly known as black mold and it’s very toxic and very deadly. That’s why when you’re dealing with molds, you need to know all of the facts. And when you’re dealing with black mold removal you need to be very aware of this dangerous fungus and know how to stop it dead in its tracks. Immediately!
Black mold symptoms can be severe. A person who has been exposed to black mold may have the following mold health symptoms: difficulty breathing, they may experience headaches, coughing, nausea, memory loss, dizziness, asthma, bronchitis, urinary tract infections, and over time they may even experience infertility.
Black mold is responsible for more than 100 types of lung conditions. But worst of all, Stachybotrys chartarum can cause respiratory bleeding, which is fatal in infants.
And while that’s pretty darn scary, many people refuse to believe that they even have this nasty substance in their home. They believe that if they keep their house clean, they will never encounter this dangerous fungus. Unfortunately that just isn’t true! Even the cleanest home can create the perfect place for fungus to grow.
For instance, when you live in an area that has a lot of humidity, you’re definitely prone to toxic fungi. Since moisture causes molds to become more susceptible to the area, the risk of having black mold in your home is even greater to homes that are in a high humidity area.
However, humidity in the environment isn’t the only factor that can create a breeding ground for black mold. Leaky pipes can also become a potential toxic hazard for the fungus. And often, those leaky pipes go unnoticed because the leak is so small. To make matters worse, the fungus isn’t always visible since it can attach itself to the insides of the pipes, which makes it virtually impossible for removing the black mold.
Another common breeding ground for black mold is anywhere a flood has occurred. It makes no difference if it’s a major flood that happened during a rainstorm or a minor flood that occurred when the toilet overflowed, it’s all breeding ground for fungi. Yet the worse part is it can take several days to dry the area out which gives the dangerous fungi an even better chance to grow.
Some other good indications that you have a problem with fungus growth are stains on the walls or ceilings of the home. These stains are usually yellowish in color, but signs of black, green or brown can indicate a fungi problem.
Another sign that could mean your home has the deadly fungus is, odor. If the smell of mildew or must is present, it could mean that there are molds growing where the odors are lingering. Common areas may include closets and heating and air conditioning units.
Finding out where the problem lies is only the tip of the iceberg. The next step is the mold removal. While this may seem like an easy task to some, it actually requires careful handling when coming into contact with this toxic substance.
First and foremost, a respiratory mask, eye protection and gloves should be used when attempting to remove mold. There are many products than can be used to remove the substance. The most common of them is bleach. There are also many paints that are specifically designed to help reduce the growth of fungi.
In addition to mold removal products, using a dehumidifier can control the humidity that attracts the dangerous fungus known as Stachybotrys chartarum in the first place. However, if the problem is severe enough that mold removal products or a dehumidifier is simply not enough, a professional may be needed rather than trying to learn how to remove black mold yourself. Be safe, be smart. You and your family’s life may depend on it.